Hello, Murder Lab Community!
This is a special invitation/call to action for authors.
I’m putting together an anthology of sorts. In contrast to a true anthology, which implies a collection of short stories, this is actually going to be a collection of excerpts from published, full-length novels--sort of like a compilation of Amazon "Look Inside" features from similarly-themed novels, all in one nifty little, e-mailable, downloadable, linkable, social media promotable package. It will be free, and it will be uploaded as a perma-free ebook to all of the major ebook platforms. Personally, I will also give this out as a freebie to people for signing up on my mailing list, upload it to my social media channels wantonly for the taking, and talk about the various excerpts from different authors a great deal.
The perks of this project, as I see them:
1) It will be ebook-only format, so there will be minimal production costs, which I will absorb.
2) Already-published material means you're promoting your actual novel, not a short story which may or may not reflect your novel(s) in a way that resonates with readers.
3) Already-published material is already-edited, so again, there's no work or expense on your part. You'll just send me your excerpt and a few key pieces of info/supporting materials and you're done.
4) The full-length novels will be linked to each excerpt, just as they are with those handy "Look Inside" features, except that you won't be a slave to Amazon. You can link whatever you want. You can also link other books in the series, your website, etc. etc. And you get to choose the "Look Inside" pages to be included.
5) Each excerpt will be categorized by sub-genre (i.e. "cozy mystery", "political thriller") to give readers a chance to head straight for the book that interests them.
6) The more authors that contribute, the more help I'll have spreading the word and getting readers to peek at your novel.
7) You have nothing to lose and everything to gain, since I'm doing the work and paying for it. And if the whole thing bombs, well, then, nobody will ever even know your work was in there, will they?
Interested? OK, then, here are the details, the theme, and the rules:
1) There are actually two books to be made: One is entitled, Murder, USA and the other, Murder, International.
2) Your excerpt must be from some form of mystery/suspense/thriller full-length novel
3) The setting/location must be somewhat prominent, relevant to, or featured in the story (even if it's just a cool description of where a murder takes place...)
4) US-based excerpts will go into the "USA" book and internationally-based excerpts will go into the "international" book (duh!)
5) The tables of contents will be organized geographically by state or country, respectively, so the collection can be marketed as a "tour" of sorts
6) The table of contents will mention the title, the author, the sub-genre, and the location for each excerpt. So (if you're counting) that's four ways readers can glance at the table of contents and decide which excerpts they want to dive into.
7) Your full-length novel MUST already be published and online to be included. I don't care if it's self-pubbed or traditional, as long as it's available.
8) You must have the rights to republish the content (and be able to prove this.)
9) Ideally, I would like each location to be unique, so we don't end up with twenty-five So-Cal-based authors with books set in San Diego and LA. I personally think it would be bitchin' to get an excerpt from every state, but I don't know that many authors. Incidentally, feel free to forward this along to others who might be interested!
10) Priority will be given to authors with reasonably established platforms who I can count on to help metastasize the book. You don't have to be famous, just making a concerted effort to get there.
11) As mentioned, I'll pay the expenses (it will just be artwork, formatting, and publishing, which I'll do through Murder Lab Press) but I'll ask for donations from contributing authors to help absorb the cost. Donations will be small and they won't be mandatory (in case you're worried I'm going to run off with your money!)
12) What do you have to do? For right now, just say, "Yes, I'm in" by subscribing to our group below. (Lance, you're already subscribed, and Kelly, I shot you an email on your website to get your email address.) This doesn't subscribe you to the Murder Lab Report or any other email correspondence, it only gives me your email address so I can keep track of you as part of this project.
13) I'll gather interested authors for the next few weeks, and once I have a better idea of how much interest there is and how many authors will be involved, I will send out an email to participating authors with detailed instructions for what to send and when we need it. This will also specify the length of the excerpts and suggested donation amounts, both of which will go down with increasing numbers of participants.
So, here’s an example using an excerpt from The Vesuvius Isotope:
Excerpt from: The Vesuvius Isotope, by Kristen Elise, Ph.D.
Sub-Genres: Historical mystery/thriller
Locations: Italy, Egypt
(Insert Excerpt Here)
Did you enjoy this excerpt? Purchase the full-length novel here (insert links). For more information about the novels of Kristen Elise, visit her website here (link.)
Sound good? Great! Then sign up and let's make this happen...